On 30 September 1925, Dr. Anna Dengel, Dr. Johanna Lyons, Evelyn Flieger, RN and Marie Ulbrich, R.N. the “First Four” founded the Medical Mission Sisters in Washington DC. The women were not yet professed sisters because the Catholic Church did not yet approve of sisters working in health care, that would not take place until 1935. Still, they lived as a community and grew as they worked to serve in the field of medicine and other related areas.
The Medical Mission Sisters was the inspiration of Dr. Anna Dengel who wanted to begin a religious community to meet the needs of the poor, who were “to live for God…to dedicate themselves to the service of the sick for the love of God and …to be properly trained according to the knowledge and standards of the time in order to practice medicine in its fill scope, to which the Sisters were to dedicate their lives.”
They will be the first Roman Catholic Congregation to provide surgeons and obstetricians for missionary work.
There is an earlier CUTH podcast on Anna Dengel